Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sloppy Joes

From For the Love of Cooking (Click here to see the official recipe with photos)

With my adjustments the recipe serves 5 (girl portions) at 281 calories, 16 g fat, 1 g fiber

1 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef (I used 96/4) -- I only used 1 lb of ground sirloin. I figured I didn't need all that beef
1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
1/4 orange bell pepper, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp dried mustard - substituted with regular mustard
1/2 tsp paprika - oops! I forgot this! Maybe that's why I thought it needed more kick
1 cup of ketchup
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp water
Salt and pepper to taste - oops! I forgot this!

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, making sure to break it up into crumbles. Add the onion, celery, garlic and bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Drain any grease then add ketchup, brown sugar and water. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Review: This was OK. I like my sloppy joes saucier and spicier. If I were to make these again, I'd remember the paprika and add red pepper flakes (my favorite ingredient). I'd also add more ketchup - or maybe some tomato sauce. I'd also cook the vegetables for a little longer. Mine were crunchy!

No comments: