Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hot and Spicy Tuna Melt Panini

adapted from the Mise En Place website

2 cans solid white tuna, drained
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 celery stalk, diced (I used way more than this)
1/4 red onion, finely diced (I used regular onions)
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper (I used way more than this)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons lime juice (I used lemon juice)
4 panini buns, halved (I used light whole wheat bread)
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese with hot peppers (I used light cheddar)

Mix tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion, jalapeno, chili powder and lime juice in a bowl. Spread about a quarter of the mixture over each panini bottom, top with cheese and close the sandwich. Cook in a panini press on medium until buns are toasted and cheese is melted, about 6 minutes. Note: if you do not have a panini press, you can use a skillet. Just press to flatten. (I used my sandwich maker.)

My Review: This was an interesting twist on tuna salad. I'm a big fan of flaming hot spice, so I enjoyed a spicier version of tuna. I even served the tuna mixture over lettuce for lunch the next day. This was a quick easy meal - and may be my new favorite way to make tuna. I did screw up one thing - the celery chunks were way too big. Next time, I'll dice them smaller.

No comments: