Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hollandaise Sauce

from Cooking Light, APRIL 2009

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook 5 minutes or until completely melted. Carefully skim solids off the top with a spoon; discard solids. Slowly pour remaining butter out of pan, leaving remaining solids in pan; discard solids.

Combine egg yolks and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk until foamy. Place pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Gradually add 1/4 cup clarified butter, about 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a whisk until each addition is incorporated and mixture is thick. Reserve remaining clarified butter for another use.

Stir juice and salt into butter mixture, whisking until blended.

Calories 63; Fat 6.5g (sat 3.9g, mono 0.4g, poly 0.1g); Protein 0.5g; Carb 0.2g; Fiber 0g; Chol 57mg; Iron 0.1mg; Sodium 32mg; Calc 5mg

Yield: About 2/3 cup (serving size: 1 tablespoon)


My Review: I absolutely LOVE hollandaise sauce and this was a delicious recipe. To be honest, I would have licked the bowl had I been alone. I've always avoided making this sauce because I thought it would be super hard to do. Sadly, I've even used the envelopes you can buy at the grocery story. This was my first time making this. It was pretty easy and even though I didn't clarify the butter correctly, it still turned out. Plus, it's a light recipe so I can eat more of it. You can't get any better than that!

No comments: