Saturday, August 15, 2009

Balsamic Green Bean & Potato Salad

2 cups baby Dutch potatoes (I couldn't find these, so I just used baby red potatoes.)
2 cups green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
3 tbsp olive oil (I couldn't justify this - so I scaled back to 2 T; should have done 1 T and a little more balsamic.)
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2-3 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped

Fill a large saucepan with water and season with salt. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes. Add the green beans and cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain and let stand.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, mustard, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Whisk in the olive oil until combined.

Toss the potatoes and beans with the dressing to coat and top with freshly chopped basil.

Review: This was good - but it wasn't my most favorite recipe ever. Everything that went wrong was completely my fault. The red potatoes were too big, so I cut them in half, which made them soggy. It was cold - so next time I'll leave it at room temperature. I really liked the vinaigrette. It was delicious!

No comments: