Friday, August 21, 2009

Meatloaf

Recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Click here for the original recipe with photos!

1 lb lean ground beef (I used ground sirloin - 90/10)
1/2 sweet yellow onion
1/2 lb mushrooms chopped (I'm lazy so I used a food processor. The mushroom pieces were so tiny they blended with the ground beef)
1-2 cloves of garlic minced
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese (I used the stuff in the green can - I'm a gourmet, baby!)
1 egg (I used egg substitute since I had some left over from my bread)
1/2 cup non fat milk
10-12 saltine crackers (I love saltines so I used 12)
2 tbsp Italian bread crumbs (I just used regular bread crumbs)
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sage

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients well, then form a loaf in the loaf pan.

Sauce:
1 cup of ketchup
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp mustard powder (I substituted with 2 T regular mustard - I like things spicier)
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Combine ingredients. Add more sugar, mustard or nutmeg to taste. Make sure to save the extra sauce for serving. Completely cover the top of the meatloaf with the sauce before baking.

Bake for 80-90 minutes. Let sit 5-10 minutes before slicing. (I dumped the extra sauce on top after it was done cooking.)

Review: This smelled wonderful and was absolutely delicious. It had an interesting sweet and spicy flavor. The meat was really tender - I think the mushrooms did the trick. This recipe was also boy-approved.

No comments: