Friday, August 21, 2009

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Bread

Recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Click here if you want to see the original recipe with pictures.

1 cup of Xagave (I just used regular agave nectar - you can find it in the 'natural' foods section at the grocery store)
Zest and juice of 3 lemons
3/4 cup of canola oil (Next time I make this, I'm going to reduce this.)
6 eggs (I used egg substitute)
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon extract
1-2 tsp poppy seeds (I used 2 tsp)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat two 8x4 loaf pans with canola cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk Xagave, lemon zest, lemon juice and oil together. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each is added. Stir in remaining ingredients just until dry ingredients are combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and serve.

Review: This had a really interesting flavor - it was bright and lemony, not all that sweet. It tasted very wholesome - probably because of the whole wheat flour. It was a little denser than other breads I've made and a teensy bit oily. Next time I make it, I'll only use 1/2 cup oil.
It wasn't what I expcted, but I really liked it. Simon liked it too, so it's boy approved!

No comments: